Cookies for My Class


I have a deal with my class and have had the same challenge for them, for years.  Each week, if they return their work folders to me, signed by a parent, I bake them cookies.  I usually allow one or two to forget.  This year's class has not tasted a cookie yet, this year.  As a group, they could not pull this off.

They are an enigma to me.  As much as they want the extras, they won't put themselves into it. I have never met this before and it is challenging me.  Fortunately, I like a good challenge.

I am open to suggestions.  Discipline is not the problem.  If I lower my voice so it is barely audible, the class is quiet.  They do what they have to do but if I give them an inch, like taking a breath, they are rarin' to go.  If I would allow them to continue, I don't think they would ever stop. No, I am not exaggerating.

As a result, bring in signed folders seem to be a distant possibility.  I, so badly, want to bake for them and I will do so for Chanukah.  They are a great class but a handful.  

It is quite funny.  One day, I was lecturing a few boys, in the hall.  There was a younger student watching.  When my boys went back to class, I said to him, "You see how mean I am?"  He responded, "No, you are nice."  I have no idea who he is but I think my reputation has preceded me.

Years ago, I overhead a girl telling the next class, coming up how I was strict but fair and I have prided myself on those words, since that day.  I follow a teacher who tends to threaten and not follow through.  While the kids get away with a lot, they have no respect for that teacher and as far as I can see, don't like her.  Children are really smart and they know, if we expect a lot from them, it is because we think highly of them and if we mean what we say, we are fair.  Love those ten year olds.

Anyway, two of my previous class came begging.  All they wanted is a homemade cookie.  I baked two batches of chocolate chip cookies from this week's cookbook choice, and marched into school with my two packages, to be met by a smiling and cheering group.  I was peeking as they divided them up.  One boy decided, he would be the arbitrator, and not so nicely handed them out.  Time for me to step in.  I didn't have to say anything.  Suddenly, each student had his cookies. Predictable.

These were good cookies, not the best, I have made but cookies to be eaten.  Thanks to Martha Stewart who is smart as I am and knows a good chewy cookie needs more brown sugar than white.  As far as I am concerned, the higher the ration of brown to white, the better it will be.  I have never tried all brown sugar.  If anyone has a recipe for a chocolate chipper with only brown sugar, do please share.

Martha Stewart's Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature (I take off a tablespoon or two)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (Caramel or Peanut butter chips would be good too.)

Method:
 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Using a cookie scoop (small or large - just bake longer for large), drop dough almost two inches apart , a cookie sheet, covered with parchment paper.

Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.


Eat and enjoy.   linked to Gallery of Favorites

Comments

  1. These look great! I read in a few different places that cornstarch is the key to soft cookies. I haven't tried this yet but this is the recipe I plan to experiment with -

    http://kirbiecravings.com/2012/04/cornstarch-soft-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
    http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca/
    http://pinterest.com/jennp6/

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow looks so good, i am sure it must be so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your students are lucky to have a firm and yet kind hearted teacher. Not to mention a great baker too. I'm sure they love you for that scrumptious cookies but not saying it..this is a nice post, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of feel bad that your class can't seem to get their act together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like a wonderful teacher! It's lovely you were able to bake for some of your students at least :) I like chocolate chip cookies with more brown sugar than white too - it really does add a fabulous flavour and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice teacher you are! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us on the Gallery of Favorite's Cookie Exchange.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost