Bubble and Squeak Muffins


"Bubble and squeak is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The main ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. The dish is so named because it makes bubbling and squeaking sounds during the cooking process,[1] and the cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potatoes or crushed roast potatoes until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides. It is often served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles or brown sauce."  Wikipedia
 
I am beginning to live on my leftovers. Since we lost our electricity (and got it back), I have been careful about freezing food in quantity. I usually have a floor freezer filled with goodies as well as my refrigerator freezer. I have not even turned on my big freezer.

It is not, as if, I think, the power is going to disappear. I expect it to work beautifully. Rather, I think, I like the idea of all my frozen food, in one place. The freezer is crowded but I am getting around that, with ease.


I keep a package of frozen emergency corn, spinach, broccoli, green beans and cauliflower, almost at all times. I also keep a few small packages of chicken cutlets and 2 or 3 one pound packages of chopped chicken or turkey and one package of chopped beef. I have two packages of gluten-free bread for stuffing and one loaf of homemade gluten-free bread, also in the freezer. There is a small sorbet and a package of puff pastry. I am sure, I have left something out but I think this is the bulk of it.


I find that with canned tomatoes and beans, a bottle or two of Marinara (if I don't have time to make my own) and Hubby's gluten-free crumbs, rice and quinoa, I am in good shape. I usually have some bell peppers, potatoes, always have onions, tomatoes, zucchini, squash and sweet potatoes, we can eat well, for a while.


My leftovers, as you can see, are not already cooked. They are just waiting to be experimented with. That is how we got these Bubble and Squeak Muffins.


In my refrigerator was some shredded red cabbage that had to be used. I needed green or white for the Bubble and Squeak but, if nothing, we have learned to be versatile. Of course, I did end up with blue muffins.

Bubble and Squeak Muffins 

Ingredients:


2 cups red cabbage, sliced

1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups potatoes , mashed
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

In a medium saucepan, cook cabbage in a small amount of water for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and set aside.

In a skillet, cook onion in olive oil until onion is soft. Add in the cooked cabbage and potatoes.  Season with salt, and pepper.

Combine the ingredients and put in muffin tins. (I made 8.)

Comments

  1. These actually sound really good ;) Why are they called 'Bubble and Squeak'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy Chaya :) I have always been a freezer person, but the last couple of years I have been doing a lot of canning. I'm currently working on a site that shares a lot of information regarding food storage and such. It's called 'Surviving Today's World'. Hopefully, the good Lord willing, it will be released by end of Jan. Whew! It has been time consuming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have emergency corn! I know a lady who has emergency cakes in her freezer--always prepared! Very creative using what's on hand.
    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing at Meatless Monday! I want to know why they're called "Bubble and Squeak" too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost