Pizza Muffins - Monday Muffins on Friday


When a recipe like this catches my eye, I almost automatically make it. Anything that can be turned into a muffin, intrigues me. Over the years, I have experimented with all kinds of muffins.

A muffin with pizza flavoring sounds like a sure winner which is why I made these gems. We are the kind of family who likes to reach out and pick up something to eat from the hand. I resort to muffins also, because of this.

We used to think of muffins as basically blueberry and maybe a corn muffin. We did not think exotic or unusual. Left to my own devices, I have made up and copied many muffin edible, over the years. I have turned meat loaves into muffins. I have copied the ingredients in omelets and made muffins. I think, anything can be made into a muffin.



Pizza Muffins (adapted from Food.com)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil

2/3 cup finely chopped onion

2/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

2/3 cup brown rice flour mixture (you can use all-purpose)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup low-fat milk

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

1egg well beaten

2 tablespoons tomato sauce

Method:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F . Spray with cooking oil a 6 cup muffin tin.

Whisk all-purpose flour, baking powder, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl.

Stir milk, feta, egg, tomato sauce into the onion mixture. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full.

Bake the muffins until lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

This had a distinct mild taste but I could not quite figure out what was dominant. I think the feta cheese blended with the other ingredients pulled it together. This is a "must make again."


Linked to Gluten Free Friday Recipes (a new linky)   

Full Plate Thursdays

Grocery Cart Challenge

Comments

  1. Pizza muffins on a Friday are always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pizza muffins? Never made it but sure sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds and LOOKS wonderful
    I have no doubt it's super tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pizza muffins! Looks wonderful! This would be lovely with some soups too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tweeted and pinned your post to our "Gluten Free Fridays" pinterest board I hope to see you back next week :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you use Parmesan cheese instead of feta - we are not a feta family?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost