Coconut-Kale Soup - Soup of the Week - Power Food





Another week, another vegetable for our Power Food group, a bunch of women who strive for healthy eating with the most delicious dishes. Each blog is inspiration . Each week, we choose a recipe based on the power food which comes from the book, Power Foods, 150 delicious recipes with the 38 healthiest ingredients from the editors of Whole Living magazine.

This week, kale is the next vegetable in the book. This is another vegetable, I have never made and I doubt that I have eaten. Why not? The answer may be found in an experience, my husband had, this week. I had forgotten all about the kale and when he called me, on his way home, from work, he asked if I wanted anything from the store. I was super thankful for this offer and told him, "kale." He went to the local store, made his way through produce, helplessly looking for kale. He pulled over some women customers and asked them which was kale. This led to a lively conversation but no kale. None of them knew what kale looked like.

When he came home, after having a good laugh, I described kale to him. I only knew because I looked for a picture on the Internet. He realized, he had seen it. Of course, I still had no kale. As you can see, I did get the kale and made this yummy soup.

The soup was supposed to be a vegetable stew but when it was done, there was no doubt, it was going to be soup. I added more liquid and we had a fantastic soup, I hope to make many times, in the future. The sweet potato added a pleasant sweetness to the coconut milk. It was scrumptious.

Kale is another healthy vegetable, high in iron, filled with antioxidants, low in calories, high in fiber, and is an anti-inflammatory. It has Vitamin A, C and K. It has more calcium than milk. It protects us in many ways.


Coconut Kale Soup

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

1 large red bell pepper, chopped

1 cup carrots, cur into thin pieces

1 potato, peeled and diced

1 sweet potato, peeled and diced

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon tumeric

1/8 teaspoon cayenne

2 cups kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped

1 can coconut milk

2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth

salt, pepper to taste



Method:

Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottom pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 5 to 7 minutes until lightly browned; add red bell pepper, carrots and sauté 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium. Add spices. Add potatoes, kale, vegetable broth, salt and pepper; simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Add additional water or stock if mixture becomes too thick.

Enjoy this delicious soup.

Check out the other Power Food cooks and see what they did with the kale. Mireya is the originator of the group. If you are interested in participating, please contact her. My Healthy Eating Habits,


Comments

  1. that looks super yummy! great idea for a simple and light dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaya, this sounds so yummy :) Our evening are beginning to get quite cool now and this would be a splendid evening meal, with a slice of cornbread for the men, of course LOL. Thanks for sharing with us this week! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I'm always looking for more kale recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes! I'm going to make this one for sure! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good, Chaya! Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep meaning to order the "kale bowl" at my local sandwich shop. Great soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the flavors of this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love kale, I grow it in my garden. Never thought to put it with coconut soup though! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a healthy and hearty soup! I'm partial to the sweet potato in it.
    Thank you for sharing with See Ya In the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost