Hash Browns a la Bobby Flay


Sometimes, I think, I could live on potatoes but I have gone through a pasta stage and more recently, a vegetable stage. Right now, potatoes are what call to me to cook them. As a Brooklyn girl, how could I not make Bobby's Brooklyn Hash Browns?

I have to confess, I failed with this recipe. After all the ingredients are mixed together, the directions are to make rectangular patties and fry them. There was nothing to hold them together and I could not make that work so I cooked them loose, like I normally make hash browns. They were delicious but not as fancy as the rectangles.

Years ago, I bought frozen hash browns and loved them. What is not to love? As I started cooking more and making my own basics, it seemed weird to me, to buy the ready-made hash browns. Sometime, I can be stubborn for no reason. This is exactly like buying shredded cheese which I did for the longest time, until I realized, I actually enjoy shredding cheese, if the amount is workable. Now, I shred my own cheese but I keep a bag of shredded mozzarella and a bag of shredded cheddar, in the freezer.........in case of an emergency. They probably have been frozen longer than recommended.

Brooklyn Hash Browns (adapted)

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons canola oil

2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced

kosher salt and black pepper to taste

2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch dice

2 teaspoons sweet paprika

1 tablespoons chopped chives

Method:


Heat half of oil and half of butter in medium skillet.

Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 40 minutes. I walked away for a few minutes and some of mine burnt.

Cook potatoes in a medium saucepan in salted cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are almost tender. (10 - 12 minutes) Drain well.

Combine potatoes and onions in a bowl. Add paprika and season with salt and pepper.

Here is what I did not succeed doing. Divide the mixture into 8 portions, forming each into a half-inch rectangle.

Heat remaining oil and butter in a cast iron pan or a non stick skillet. Cook rectangles on one side until golden brown (10 minutes) and then flip it over until bottoms are pale golden brown (2 minutes).

Serve two rectangles to each person.

*I added something to the mix. I sliced two sausage and fried them and added them to the potatoes and this was a fabulous meal.


Comments

  1. I love potatoes and these sound yummy! I will prob cook them loose as well, so much easier.

    Nominated you for the Liebster Award. Stop by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of Bobby Flay, but I am a fan of potatoes. I'll give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have trouble even getting loose hash browns to work for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost