Friday, August 3, 2012

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Streusel

This is one of my favorites and I used to make it often.  It has been a while, since I made this particular style sweet potato, all dressed up with it's Nut Topping.

I made changes from my original recipe.  I did not add any butter or margarine to the sweet potatoes, not did I add sugar.  The sweet potatoes stand alone.  I seasoned it with pumpkin pie spice and vanilla and cinnamon. Yummy,  This is a childhood memory although, it was nude, no topping.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Streusel

3 eggs
5 large sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

14 cup gluten-free flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 - 2 teaspoons oil  (walnut, hazelnut, canola)
1/2 cup chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease casserole. 

Mash sweet potatoes until smooth in a large bowl.  Add vanilla and spices and mix them in thoroughly. Add eggs and again mix well.  Place in a 8 inch casserole.

Mix topping ingredients together.  Drop spoonfuls on top of sweet potatoes.

Bake for 20 minutes and cool for 5 minutes.  Cut into wedges or if it is too soft, scoop with a spoon.
Linked to Sweet Saturday


  1. Chaya, I absolutely love sweet potatoes. I love them mashed, as fries or tater tots, baked, grilled. The list could go on. Your recipe looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing. :)


  2. Chaya this look really delicious!!

  3. Looks delicious! I'll have to remember this for Thanksgiving as well.

  4. I love mashed sweet potatoes and I remember eating them as a child just boiled and we dip it on brown sugar. Looks delicious on its own.
    Happy Weekend Chaya!

  5. I LOVE sweet-potato (much more than potat!o) and also LOVE cinnamon
    So Id probably eat half of it by myself

  6. Ohmigosh! That looks fabulous! It's making me think of pumpkin pie :)

  7. Looks wonderful! I love sweet potato and this is one ingredient that is not used often enough in my kitchen!

  8. I haven't made something like this in years!

  9. I love the streusel, sounds so good! the combination of soft and crunchy is really delicious!

  10. Delicious! thanks for sharing and linking up!


Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.