Caramelized Squash and Golden Corn




I have been cooking a lot of the yellow summer squash.  I found some that are thicker and I have no idea what the difference is between the two kinds of yellow squash.  I also found yellow squash with a lumpy skin and another with a smooth skin.  I guess, I have to do some research to get this straight.  For now, what counts, is how it tasted.  The squash is pretty neutral in taste and it accommodates sweetness very well.  Mixed with the caramelized corn, it blends together, in terms of the sweetness.  I had seconds on this one.

This is perfect for the summer with these crops so readily available.

Caramelized Corn and Sweet Squash adapted from food.com


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 yellow squash, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 cups corn, fresh, canned or frozen
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 onion, chopped

Method:

Heat olive oil in saute pan. Place corn and onion in skillet and cook for about 5 minutes until they start to brown.

Add squash and let brown on one side (about 3 - 5 minutes). Turn over and let brown on other side.

Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and honey.

Let cook until squash is browned on other side. Stir gently to mix all flavors.

Place caramelized corn, onion and brown sugar on top of squash and mix together. Heat in microwave or on top of stove.


Linked to  Marvelous Mondays     Inspire Me Monday      Mealtime Monday     Ingredient Spotlight - Corn

Comments

  1. Nice and scrumptious meal. Perfect for rainy afternoons (it's raining cats and dogs here).
    Have a nice week!
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I love squash, I never tried it with corn, but that must me super yummy! Great recipe!

    I have been following your blog for a while now, but just recently decided to start one myself and comment :)
    I just wanted to let you know that I really like yours, all your recipes look scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know the differences between squashes, but I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chaya! Just wanted to take a minute to answer your question about the Beefy Jalapeno Corn bake. I think adding other veggies would be a fine substitute for the ground beef. I would love to know how it turns out for you if you try it with veggies in place of the beef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a tasty dish, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful - and I just picked a bunch of yellow summer squash - sounds like dinner tonight - thanks for sharing. Joining from Inspire Me Monday - http://allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dish looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost