Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cantaloupe Ice Dream

I have been yapping about making ice cream and I went as far as buying the heavy cream, for it.  Today, I stopped procrastinating and made some.  Ice cream is easy enough to make; I can't imagine why I was putting it off.  It is also creamy and delicious and I wanted some in this hot weather.

I think, the issue was the flavor.  Hubby and I have different tastes in ice cream.  I would take chocolate marshmallow or mint chocolate chip as first choice.  He would take vanilla or strawberry.

Being logical, I made cantaloupe ice cream and we did both love it.  Next time cherry vanilla.....

Cantaloupe Ice Dream adapted from
Prep Time: 15 minutes  Chill Time: 1 hour   Ice Cream Maker Time: Approximately 25-30 minutes  Servings: Ten 1/2 cup servings
1 ripe cantaloupe
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
Ice Cream Base
1 cup milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Puree cantaloupe.(I did this in blender)
Combine cantaloupe, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar in a small, airtight container.
Chill cantaloupe mixture in the fridge for 1 hour.
Ice Cream Base
Mix milk and sugar together so that the sugar dissolves (about 1 -2 minutes with a hand mixer or whisk).
Drain cantaloupe puree and add juice to milk mixture. Set cantaloupe aside.
Stir in cream and vanilla extract.
Pour into ice cream maker.
Mix about 20-25 minutes.
Drain cantaloupe puree again, discarding juice or saving for another use.
Add cantaloupe puree (not juice) to ice cream mixture.
Mix 5 more minutes in your ice cream maker.
Eat and be refreshed! 

linkingpartybadge copyPhotobucket
Around my Family Table


  1. Oh how clever, Chaya. :-) My favorite gelato of all is melon so I know I would love this ice cream. :-)

  2. mmmmmmmm delicious this ice cream...... shame i don't have an ice cream maker, but leaving in Italy I do really love to go out after dinner and have a nice ice cream on the sea side. Well done...yours look so creamy and yummy!!!!!

  3. Never thought to make a cantaloupe flavor!

  4. Your ice cream looks so creamy and yummy! I've just made some ice cream too, just posted that today! Homemade ice cream is simply the best! Have a lovely weekend!

  5. You make me wish to buy an ice cream maker...
    I will be honored if you will add this project in our weekly linking party every Wednesdays at
    Have a great week,

  6. This looks amazing!!! Thanks for sharing with NOBH...
    ~Kara @ The Chuppies/NOBH

  7. Have never heard of cantaloupe flavored ice cream. Looks good! Visiting from No Ordinary bloghop!

    The Twerp and I


Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.