Potato Cabbage Squares

In my attempt to use up food in my storage areas, I goofed and made a recipe that used up nothing but a little spray oil.  Of course, it was delicious and who really cares, when the food is so good.


I have been making a different dish for years, noodles and cabbage, sometime sweet and sometimes savory.  This is a favorite of ours and originally, I thought, I would use my cabbage in that dish but I was overcome with a yearning for potatoes so I changed my menu and made this yummy potato, onion and cabbage dish.


The shape and consistency of  this dish changed as I worked on it.  What started as the size of my fry pan, ended in Squares.



Potatoes and Cabbage Squares  (adapted)
Gourmet  | March 2005
.
Ingredients
  • 1 lb russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
  • 1 lb Savoy cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Description: http://www.epicurious.com/rd_images/primaryContent/recipe_detail/rd_buckets_divider.gif
Method:

Cover potatoes with cold salted water by 1 inch and bring to a boil, then boil, uncovered, until tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 18 minutes. Drain in a colander.
Heat butter in a 10-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté cabbage with salt and pepper, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add potatoes, mashing and stirring them into cabbage while leaving some lumps and pressing to form a cake. Cook, without stirring, until underside is crusty and golden, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

I had difficulty getting mine out of the pan as a whole so I made squares and browned, each side. 












Comments

  1. I live for potatoes! Thanks for sharing, this looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! I just love potatoes and cabbage and this looks like a great way to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious meal this is! Well done :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cabbage and potatoes! I could totally sneak the cabbage in for my husband with this recipe and he would give it a try. He will eat anything with potatoes without question. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! It looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat. I might sub in olive oil however, the butter just makes it look soooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh! I like this idea! And, it's gluten free :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I love potatoes and cabbage! What a great treat :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost