Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sesame Teriyaki Pasta with Mock Crab

Tonight, we had an engagement party to go to and I knew dinner was going to be quick and rushed.  I had planned to make a lasagna in a white sauce with mock crab meat in the filling.   This was going to take time and effort and frankly, for a rushed meal, I am not willing to put that amount of exertion into it.

It is amazing how we can take a few items from shelves and all of a sudden have a meal.  I had defrosted the mock crab meat.  That became ingredient #1.  Since, pasta had been in my plans, keeping it, made sense.  Out came some spirals.   Then, the key to success, appeared before me, when I opened the refrigerator door.  A bottle of Sesame Teriyaki sauce.  I added some browned vegetables and voila, dinner was ready.


Sesame Teriyaki Pasta with Mock Crab

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 red pepper, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 celery stalk, chopped
3/4 of a one pound package spirals
2 tablespoons Sesame Teriyaki Sauce
1/2 one pound package of mock crab meat

Directions:

  • Boil pasta according to package directions.
  • While pasta is cooking, in medium skillet with one tablespoon of olive oil, cook red pepper, celery and scallions for 5 minutes on a low heat.
  • Add mock crab to vegetables and cook for another 3 minutes, turning the fish over, gently.
  • Drain pasta and place in bowl, sprayed with olive oil.  Add vegetables and fish.  
  • Add the sauce and only coat the pasta.  It is almost more a glaze than a sauce.
  • I put my bowl in the microwave for another minute or two to make sure it was served hot.
Before, I was to get dressed for the evening, I ate a small bowl of the pasta, enough to get me through until the next food but not enough for a meal.  I wanted to taste some of the desserts at the party.

When my husband got home, he had a plate and then a second one and suddenly, there was none left.  Does that not speak volumes?

Without Sauce

5 comments:

  1. Meals that get thrown together like that always seem to turn out great. That's deifnitely my kind of cooking! It looks really tasty so thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    I'm also taking part in the Hearth & Soul hop and that's how I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this my friend Chaya? I saw Bizzy Bakes comments and didn't know it was you. You started another site and I love it - your background is so cute. This pasta looks wonderful - my Mom loves this mock crab but never does anything as interesting as this with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of mock crab. Is that a vegetarian thing? How clever to put teriyaki with pasta spirals. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once had an entire party platter of mock crab. It wasn't really supposed to be just for me but the others didn't reach in and before I knew it...it was empty. Love the idea of mixing it with pasta and teriyaki.

    Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pasta is really nice. I am hosting Pesto Pasta Nights this week. I would be really happy if you will share this pasta in the event

    Presto Pasta Nights No. 201

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.