Pioneer Woman makes Mac and Cheese with Panko
I made the recipe without the tomatoes. After all, it is a Pioneer Woman recipe. I do suggest keeping the tomatoes as a nice balance to the gooey cheese.
|Prep Time 20 Minutes |
Cook Time 20 Minutes
- 1 pound Cooked Pasta (slightly Undercooked)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- ¼ cups Flour
- 2-½ cups Milk
- 2 teaspoons Mustard Powder
- 1 teaspoon (more To Taste!) Salt
- Black Pepper
- 8 ounces, weight Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- 8 ounces, weight Tomato Basil Pepper Jack Cheese, Grated
4 whole Roma Tomatoes, Sliced Thick
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs (mine had seasoning and I don't recommend this)
- Salt And Pepper For Sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta until .
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Sprinkle in flour, whisk to combine, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it deepens in color.
- Pour in milk, whisking constantly. Add mustard, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking until it thickens, 4 minutes or so.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Pour in cooked pasta and stir to coat. Check seasonings and add more salt if needed.
- Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Top with 3/4 of the panko crumbs.
rrange tomato slices neatly on the top.Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with the rest of the panko crumbs.
The seasoned crumbs was overkill. It messed up the seasoning of the mac and cheese. Without them, I think this would have been better or with plain Panko, I am sure I would have been more pleased.
Linked to Simply Sweet Home - one of my favorites, Mac 'n Cheese Challenge,