Saturday, February 12, 2011

Orange Vegetable Kugel

Kugel may be a new word to you so let me explain.  Kugels are side dishes or desserts that come in the form of a casserole.  They are both sweet and savory.  As an example, for this meal, I made this sweet kugel along with a savory potato kugel.  The texture of each is quite different from the other with the butternut squash/sweet potato being soft and a little creamy to eat.  The potato is drier and I make it it in a square or 9 x 13 pan. 


Kugels are fun.  They can be made with many different fruits and vegetables.  I have made cauliflower, broccoli,carrot,  cranberry, apple, noodle (both sweet and savory), spinach, and onion kugel.  I am sure I have made more but at this moment, this is all I can think of.  I, hopefully can share this with you as I make them.  For many of you, this will be a new dish and I suggest, you try any of these.  The most common are Potato kugel and Noodle Kugel.


Here are some places to find recipes:
All Recipes
Top Ten Kugels
Chow



Orange Vegetable Kugel

Ingredients:


2 sweet potatoes  (I used large ones.)
1 large butternut squash
4 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup flour

1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups non dairy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract


Directions: 

In a microwave, cook butternut squash until slightly soft.  It will be easy enough to mash but not completely cooked.


While squash is cooking, peel sweet potatoes and cook in boiling water.  I cut them into cubes and cooked for 20 minutes.

Drain off water, cool and place all in food processor. Process until smooth. 

Transfer to baking dish, sprayed with non-stick Canola oil. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Check the center of the kugel and it should not be liquidy.

I found, I had an over-abundance of this and made three different dishes from it.  This is the basic kugel which is delicious, as is.

If you would like a topping, add a streusel made of nuts, brown sugar, and a little oil.  A plan cinnamon sugar topping should work also.  Be creative.

Everyone at our table loved this.  It is sweet and rice and yummy.  I could make this each week and be happy.

Orange vegetables-butternut squash and sweet potatoes

Nice and Creamy Before and After Cooking

Finished Product - A Favorite

Linked to:    What's Cookin' In the Kitchen 
Friday Potluck   
Simply Sweet Home's Friday Favorites   
This Week's Cravings 
Pennywise Platter Thursdays


MyMeatlessMondays

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing what kugel is and the recipe of course, hope i can try making it soon! :) it really looks yummy! have a great week! :)

    *sorry for deleting the first one, missed some letters! hope you understand!*

    thanks and happy valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous recipe, thanks! Happy Valentine's Day, Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so nice! I discovered your blog today and am so glad I did! I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.