Spinach Squares with Baked Eggs
I saw this recipe under another name, Baked Eggs With Spinach, Tomatoes and Garlic. It was on $5 dollar dinners. a great place to visit and to find out how to save money and how to cook fantastic meals. It was love at first sight. I knew I had to make this and I had to make it soon.
Several times, I worked it, into the schedule, and something always came up. Tonight, I knew fish was on the menu and I saw this dish right there, next to the flounder. We ended up with quite a meal, replete with tons of veggies. The fish had peppers, onions and tomatoes. The side dish had spinach and more tomatoes. Corn on the cob received an honored place on the dish, as well. This all made up a fantastic, healthy meal. I also had pecan apple muffins to go with this. Mango or Rhubarb-Peach cream cheese cake for dessert. This was a night, we ate well and more important, mostly healthily.
Spinach Squares with Peppers
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 oz. fresh spinach
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To a large skillet or saucepan, add the olive oil. When it heats up, add the spinach. Toss the spinach around for a minute, then add the diced tomatoes. (Actually, I did this the opposite way. I put in the tomatoes first, then adding the spinach. ) Toss together and then add the minced onion. Let simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off, about 5-7 minutes.
- Place the sauteed spinach into an ovenproof baking pan, creating indentations for the eggs. Crack 1 egg into each hole.
- Bake the spinach and eggs for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until egg whites have turned white. We like our eggs well-done so I kept them in until almost hard boiled.
- You can add seasoning at this point. We did not think it needed it.