Apple Slaw


This recipe is from Mark Bittman's The Food Matters and I found it online in the New York Times in his column.  Mark Bittman is one of my favorites because of his straightforward recipes with their many options. 

Often, when I use a recipe from a particular chef, the results don't sound like the original recipe, at all.  With Mark Bittman, I end up using his choices and I end up with a recipe, I can credit to the author with honesty.  Too often, the recipe is so far afield, there is no point in saying more than it was inspired by So and So.

The changes I made in this recipe was using less olive oil omitting the parsley.  Otherwise, I did not improvise.  I felt no need to.  As much as I enjoy experimenting, there are times, I like to let the book to the talking and follow the recipe.


Mark Bittman’s Apple Slaw


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups cored and shredded red cabbage (about 8 ounces)
2 medium Granny Smith shredded or grated
8 radishes, chopped
1 red onion, chopped or grated
Salt
Black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Put the oil, mustard, lemon juice and honey in a large bowl and whisk until well combined.

Add the cabbage, apples, radishes and onion and toss until thoroughly combined. 



Sprinkle with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.


Just before serving, toss with the parsley. Adjust seasoning to taste.

  Treasure Box Tuesday    Hearth and Soul Hop     Tuesday’s Table            Fat Tuesday          Weekend Potluck        What'd You Do  This Weekend        
 Lou Lou Girls     
Waste Not Want Not Wednesday             Creative Munster                         What's Cooking Wednesday 

Comments

  1. I understand what you mean. I very seldom find a recipe that I don't end up changing. This apple slaw looks beautiful and delicious and perfect for a good summer salad. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually 'play' with recipes too, Chaya, but occasionally there are some that are just perfect as they are :-) Love this apple slaw - it sounds really fresh and delicious. Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost