Sausage, Cabbage & Root Vegetable Soup


Once in  a while, we find a recipe that everyone likes and wants again and this is an example.  I ate two good sized bowls before I shared with my  husband.  I wanted to hide the rest so he wouldn't find it but he did and then he ate his share of the soup.  Somewhere in the middle, I added water to the pot and stretched the soup.  I did not add more seasonings and the soup maintained its goodness,  We got another day out of it but hubby put it in the back of the refrigerator and he got even more.  I kept adding water and the goodness remained.

I wonder if I had added water each day, the soup would have multiplied forever.  It would have been well worth it.  You can guess, we loved this soup and hubby is already asking me to make it again.  Let me quote: "If you would make this soup on a regular basis, you would not have to make any other soup, ever again."


Sausage, Cabbage & Root Vegetable Soup  (adapted from Eating Well)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 pound Italian turkey sausage, chopped fine
1 cup chopped onion
black pepper to taste
2 medium carrots, diced (1/2 inch)
2 small turnips, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
2 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup chopped fresh tomato
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme

method:

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. 

Add sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, about 10 minutes. 

Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain.

Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, and pepper; cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. 

Add carrots, turnips, and potato and cook, stirring once or twice, until starting to get tender, 4 to 5 minutes. 

Add cabbage; cook about 2 minutes. 

Return the sausage to the pot and stir in broth, wine, tomato, rosemary and thyme. 

Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.

Uncover and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce the broth and intensify the flavor of the soup.

Comments

  1. No this is my kind of recipe. Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I do hope you'll swing by to Food on Friday: Sausages to bring this to the party! Cheers from Carole from Carole's Chatter PS Due to all the excitement yesterday I am behind on pinning – so my apologies if you've already linked this in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost