Cabbage Muffins


Over the years, I have made many kind of muffins but not enough of the savory ones.  When I came across this recipe in "The Best of the Family Table", I jumped to make them.  The recipes in this book come from a weekly magazine, called Mispacha which means Family.  One section in it is dedicated to cooking and recipes and I have found that there are some original and tasty ones there.

Cabbage is one of those veggies that I think, you either love or hate.  I love it in almost any form.  It is great in salads, soups, baked goods, side dishes and mains.  It can be mixed with a variety of other ingredients.

Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable.  I included a list from the World's Healthiest Foods.  Sometimes it is hard to understand how vegetables are related, certainly not by taste or crunchiness.  I read that originally cruciferous veggies were chosen by their appearance of a cross (crucifix) but that has been changing.

Cruciferous Vegetables
Arugula
Bok choy
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chinese cabbage
Collard greens
Daikon radish
Horseradish
Kale
Kohlrabi
Land cress
Mustard greens
Radish
Rutabaga
Shepherd's purse
Turnip
Watercress

Cabbage is a very healthy vegetable. It is the vegetable highest in Vitamin A, darotenoids, Vitamin C, folic acid and fiber. Sounds good to me. Please go to the site above to get more detailed information on cabbage. You just might eat more of it after reading the article.



Cabbage Muffins  adapted from The Best of Family Table



Ingredients:


1 lb  white shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix 

4 onions, diced and sautéed 

8 eggs 
2 cups gluten-free flour
3/4 cup water 
1/3  cup oil 
2 soup bouillons
pepper, to taste 
white sesame seeds, for topping

Method:

Preheat oven to 350°F 

Mix all ingredients together well by hand in a large bowl. 

Spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray and fill with cabbage mixture. 

Decorate tops of muffins with white sesame seeds as shown. Bake for 30 minutes.



Eat and enjoy.
This recipe appeared in Mishpacha Magazine, May 2012.

Linked to: Treasure Box Tuesday      Two Cup Tuesday              Fat Tuesday       Hearth and Soul Hop       Real Food Recipe Round Up       Tuesday’s Table      Simple Supper                  Totally Talented Tuesday                         Full Plate Thursday       Foodie Friday with the Seaman Mom      Weekend Social Link Part             Weekend Bites    

Comments

  1. I am a cabbage lover ( maybe it's an influence from my Eastern European grandparents) .
    I love it raw, cooked, or baked in foods. Your recipe looks really delicious and yet another way to include healthy veggies in our meals. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I soooooo need to try making these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabbage Muffins??? I'm intrigued, Chaya and I happen to be one of those that falls into I LOVE cabbage category!!!

    Thanks for sharing, Chaya...

    Happy Chanukah to you and yours dear Chaya...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omygosh, we get SO much cabbage from our CSA and I never know what to do with it. Now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of this recipe! Cruciferous vegetables really are fantastic for your health and this is such a delicious way to use cabbage. Thank you for sharing this healthy and delicious recipe with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost