I had leftovers from last night, my Spinach Pasta bake, posted on My Sweet and Savory, but not enough to feed us both. It is a little difficult to think of food items to replace meat and fish. Since we had salmon, twice this week, that was not an option and after eating so much meat, over the holidays, that was also, not an option. Pasta, additionally, was on the "no-no" list, since I want to lose the few pounds, I gained over the holidays.
I was walking through the store for inspiration and nothing happened. I could not come up with a substitute that appealed to me. I went home and found my lovely eggplant and I now had dinner. I made a new recipe, different from any eggplant, I had previously made.
1 medium eggplant, peeled, sliced into ¼ inch slices
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup Tortilla crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 ounce tomato sauce
1. Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the eggplant.
2. Place a piece of wax paper or parchment paper on a counter and spread out the bread crumbs.
3.Coat each slice of eggplant with the chip crumbs and coat on both sides.
4. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees on a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. (I used parchment paper and baked on it.)
5. Place the slices, overlapping, in a shallow baking dish.
6. Pour the tomato sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until almost soft.
8.Eat and enjoy.
Linked to to Pennywise Platter