Recipe Box # 7- Scalloped Tomatoes



I am back to making new lunches for myself, once again.  I wish, I could share with you, the feelings, I have about this.  It has taken the "eh" quality out of lunch and makes each time, I make it, into a mini occasion.  I have to think about it.  I have to purchase items for the recipes rather than work around what I have, on hand.  I want it to have some interest for you and I don't want it to be silly, like sharing how I put cheese on bread.

In one way, this is easy because it is more fun than simply grabbing a slice of cheese and it is challenging because I am attempting to make a variety of food for the interest dimension.

Today, I was looking at my cookbooks in order to find a recipe.  Ina Garten's,  How Easy is That? stood out.  It has been a long while since I used the book and probably as long, since I made an Ina recipe.  I saw a recipe for scalloped tomatoes and thought it was going to be one dish but in reading the ingredients, it brought back memories of a favorite of mine that I have not made since my husband was diagnosed with celiac.  I could actually taste the dish in my mind and wanted it.  I don't remember how I made  this but I know it had bread and sugar in the ingredients and so does this.  That turned out to be my lunch.


Scalloped Tomatoes

Ingredients :

 olive oil
2 cups diced bread.  I only had white bread and used it.  You should pick out something tastier.
1 can diced tomatoes with roasted onion plus 1 tomato, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 cup  grated Parmesan cheese

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (12 inch) saute pan over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat with the oil. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the cubes are evenly browned.

Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, garlic, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.

When the bread cubes are done, add the tomato mixture and continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.

Pour the tomato mixture into a shallow (6 to 8 cup) baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan cheese and spray with olive oil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly. Serve hot or warm.

This had a familiar taste to my memory dish and while it was good, it would not be my favorite, today.  I would make it again with more spice  and a bit more sugar.  It was the sweetness of the dish that worked.  I am guessing that all fresh tomatoes would make it better, especially right from the garden.

Enough about my lunch.  Let's look back to last week.

Annie's Home got the most clicks with her Stuffed Cabbage.  Three Cheers for Annie.
http://countrytimerecipes.alphamaids.com/images/stuffed-cabbage-rolls.jpg

How about Stromboli from Frozen Wings!

Greek Panzanella from Flavors by Four


Peachy Quinoa from Busy Mom's Menu Plan


I bet, you would love to have any of these on your table.  I know I would.

Linked to Allergy Free Wednesdays     Cast Party Wednesdays    Real Food Wednesdays   DJs Sugar Shack   Gluten-Free Wednesdays       Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesdays?    Keep it Real Thursday
Foodie Friday      Recipe Box       Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday     Real Food Wednesday     The Gathering Spot    Whats Cooking Wednesday

Comments

  1. My dear Chaya - another great dish that I have to try :)
    It will probably be with slices of challah (I just have to bake more on Friday in order to have some left)

    Thanks for another party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chaya, I'm back after taking a break from blogging to upgrade my website. I've never heard of Scalloped Tomatoes before. I bet it would be lovely with some of my homemade GF Pepita bread!

    This week I'm sharing two recipes -  Peach Mango Creamsicles, healthier and better tasting than commercially produced ice cream bars. Plus Frozen Yogurt Tahini Banana Bites with Recipe Round Up. Love a yogurt tahini banana combo!

    Have a great week!
    Laureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are on the same tomato wave length with your scalloped tomatoes and my brushetta. It is definitely tomato time. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chaya,
    Your Scalloped Tomatoes look wonderful, a great recipe for all the tomatoes we have from the garden. Hope you are having a great week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting, Chaya. Scalloped Tomatoes sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi chaya, thanks for featuring my stromboli here. Your scallop tomatoes sounds very tasty and am already thinking about a soup eating with this, good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like making lunch instead of just reheating leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning Chaya,
    That's a delicious looking plate of scalloped tomatoes!
    I've brought some flaky chicken pie, perfect for lunch! Thank you for hosting, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for hosting, Chaya. Those tomatoes look super yummy! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are some really delicious looking recipes linked up here, and your Scalloped Tomatoes look so good! I love scalloped tomatoes and I really like the herbs and spices you have used in yours. This week I have shared a Can't Fail Chocolate Cake - such an easy cake, and so delicious served with Amaretto-laced whipped cream and raspberries. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for hosting!! I just found your blog! I'm still pretty new to blogging (8 posts.) I'm adding a link to your site on my shares page as soon as I finish typing this comment! ~Amber of WhatAmberLoves.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks delicious, Chaya! Great job at hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chaya,
    I've brought some Light Wheat Bread to share for lunch, it would be great in a sandwich!
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chaya, I'm a little late at sharing, but this week I have Homemade Chili Sauce to offer ☺ My garden got a little bit ahead of me and I've spent my week canning ughhh. It has worn me slap out! Next week I should have my son here who is a tremendous help! Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Chaya, I'm sharing my lunch of omelete today! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a simple combination of tomatoes and bread and it sounds super comforting already! I shall give a go too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great article. Couldn’t be write much better! Keep it up!Can Dog Eat Tomatoes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost