Quick and Easy (QED) Guest Blogger - April - Chicken and Almond Stir Fry


I am really excited about this post.  This is the first Guest Blogger Recipe for Quick and Easy.  April, the 21st Century Housewife is one of my favorite bloggers.   She has shared her recipes on the linkys on My Sweet and 
Savory for quite a while and as a result, 
we got to know each other.  She and 
I are now working on another 
enterprise with a few other bloggers. 
You will have to wait and see what we 
have up our communal sleeve. 


If you have a "quick and easy" recipe, you would like to 
share with us, please let me know.  Now, let's see what April
brings to the table.


"This dish is really quick and easy to make, and you probably 
already have most of the ingredients on hand. You can buy 
almonds already toasted, but if you can’t find them in your 
local store, simply heat some flaked almonds over medium 
heat in a non-stick pan and keep them moving using a heat 
safe spatula until they are all lightly toasted. (Don’t look away 
even for a second or they will burn!) Remove from the pan as soon 
as they are toasted."

Using brown rice makes this recipe even healthier, as does choosing
a low sodium soy sauce.  One piece of advice, be sure you make
lots of this - everyone I serve it to wants seconds!

(The recipe below serves about four adults, but it is easily doubled.)

Chicken and Almond Stir Fry

Ingredients:

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon sesame oil
(You can use any light vegetable oil, but sesame oil does give a 
lovely flavour.)
2 cups green beans or asparagus (or a combination of the two),
prepared and cut in pieces about two to three inches long
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I like to use chicken breast for 
this, but you can use dark meat if you prefer)
1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cups rice
½ cup toasted flaked almonds plus more for garnish

Method:

Cook the rice according to package directions. Drain and set 
aside, keeping warm.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and add 
the onion. Stir fry for two to three minutes until it begins to 
soften.  Add the red peppers and green beans or asparagus, 
continuing to stir fry until they become tender-crisp 
(about 2 to 3 minutes). Stir in the rice, cooked chicken 
and soy sauce and stir fry just until heated through.

Add the almonds and stir through.  Serve in warmed 
bowls or on warmed plates, with a few extra almonds 
sprinkled on top if you like. 

**I am hoping April will enlighten me as to what flaked 
almonds are.**  I plan to make this dish, hopefully, 
next week and I am looking forward to sharing it with you.
If you choose to make this, please share a photo and a link
to your recipe on your blog, if you have shared it.  It
would be fun to have a group of us comparing the look 
and of our dishes.

I can see why everyone wants seconds of this recipe.


Comments

  1. This looks really delicious! I love almonds and chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for featuring my recipe, Chaya! It's an honor to be the first Quick and Easy Guest Recipe!

    Flaked almonds are blanched almonds that have been sliced to produce a disc shape. I'm able to buy them in ready packaged in the store where I live. I Googled them and I think they are available in some stores like that in the US from what I read - and I wonder if they might be available in the bulk food section?

    Thank you so much again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chaya,
    You had a great guest post with April of 21st Century she is a great cook and a really nice lady. This is a very good recipe, it looks very delicious. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fantastic recipe and great guest post from April!
    We get those flaked almonds here too at nut stores or resorte suppliers!
    Love the teaser and am looking forward to hear all about it!
    This is truly quick n flavorful!
    I fixed a pasta today thats really quick too, and with veggies ,nope didn take pics ,though i wish i had now:-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost