Orange Vegetable Kugel

Kugel may be a new word to you so let me explain.  Kugels are side dishes or desserts that come in the form of a casserole.  They are both sweet and savory.  As an example, for this meal, I made this sweet kugel along with a savory potato kugel.  The texture of each is quite different from the other with the butternut squash/sweet potato being soft and a little creamy to eat.  The potato is drier and I make it it in a square or 9 x 13 pan. 


Kugels are fun.  They can be made with many different fruits and vegetables.  I have made cauliflower, broccoli,carrot,  cranberry, apple, noodle (both sweet and savory), spinach, and onion kugel.  I am sure I have made more but at this moment, this is all I can think of.  I, hopefully can share this with you as I make them.  For many of you, this will be a new dish and I suggest, you try any of these.  The most common are Potato kugel and Noodle Kugel.


Here are some places to find recipes:
All Recipes
Top Ten Kugels
Chow



Orange Vegetable Kugel

Ingredients:


2 sweet potatoes  (I used large ones.)
1 large butternut squash
4 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup flour

1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups non dairy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract


Directions: 

In a microwave, cook butternut squash until slightly soft.  It will be easy enough to mash but not completely cooked.


While squash is cooking, peel sweet potatoes and cook in boiling water.  I cut them into cubes and cooked for 20 minutes.

Drain off water, cool and place all in food processor. Process until smooth. 

Transfer to baking dish, sprayed with non-stick Canola oil. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Check the center of the kugel and it should not be liquidy.

I found, I had an over-abundance of this and made three different dishes from it.  This is the basic kugel which is delicious, as is.

If you would like a topping, add a streusel made of nuts, brown sugar, and a little oil.  A plan cinnamon sugar topping should work also.  Be creative.

Everyone at our table loved this.  It is sweet and rice and yummy.  I could make this each week and be happy.

Orange vegetables-butternut squash and sweet potatoes

Nice and Creamy Before and After Cooking

Finished Product - A Favorite

Linked to:    What's Cookin' In the Kitchen 
Friday Potluck   
Simply Sweet Home's Friday Favorites   
This Week's Cravings 
Pennywise Platter Thursdays


MyMeatlessMondays

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing what kugel is and the recipe of course, hope i can try making it soon! :) it really looks yummy! have a great week! :)

    *sorry for deleting the first one, missed some letters! hope you understand!*

    thanks and happy valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous recipe, thanks! Happy Valentine's Day, Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so nice! I discovered your blog today and am so glad I did! I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost