Recipe Box # 13 - Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Layered Cake



I am writing this, feeling frustrated, from a simple car "trip" to the grocery store.  This particular supermarket is located in a downtown shopping district and it is almost a straight ride down the main street.  There is lots of parking between the street and the large lots, behind the store.  I can't imagine, not finding, a relatively close space.  There are entrances, off the parking lot, so that is a better option, as far as I am concerned.  (too many commas in that last sentence?)

Coming home should have been a breeze but what should have taken five minutes, took at least, a half an hour.  Thankfully, I was not in a hurry so I amused myself, looking to see if there were any new stores or if any, had closed down.  In this economy, changes seem to be frequent, and can be found on most blocks.  Not enough book stores and too many restaurants, in my opinion, although we are a town of readers, as far as I can see.

On the way home, car after car was double parked, most with the drivers, in the cars.  The street does not accommodate 4 cars across plus those parked legally.  It does not accommodate 3 cars across either.  That did not stop, the many cars who just stopped their cars and sat, refusing to move, even when traffic came to a halt.  In one location, a woman could not get her legally parked car out of the space because of the double spaced car.  That did not stop her from trying and that affected all of us, simply taking a route home, to make dinner.

The most frustrating part was the car (seemed like it was behind me) honking the horn.  Believe me, if we could have moved, we would have.

I don't want to offend anyone but I am going to ask if, you do this, please reconsider the other folks who are inconvenienced by this.  Now, if you are pregnant and on the way to the hospital and need something desperately, stop, by all means.  I doubt, the folks, I saw were taking that trip.

Now on to happier thoughts and my yummy chocolate chip cinnamon layered cake from Dining In Again.  This is one of those homey cookbooks (professionally done) that always seems to have the recipe you want. It comes from a Boys' School (Moms' recipes).  I don't like the directions.  They seem to be sketchy but I have been able to make everything, I have wanted to.    There are four recipes on two pages and they are set up, nicely.  What is missing are photos.  I enjoy looking at food pictures even when I am not cooking the recipes.

Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Layered Cake (adapted)

Ingredients:

1 cup oil
3/4 stick margarine
1 3/4 sugar
4 eggs
3 cups flour (gluten-free or all-purpose)
3 teaspoons baking powder
pinch salt
1 cup orange juice (the secret ingredient - incredible)
Topping:
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 plus cups of chocolate chips

Method:

Cream margarine, oil and sugar in electric mixer.  Add the eggs, one at a time.

Combine dry ingredients and add to bowl, alternating with the juice.

Spread half the batter into 9 x 13 inch pan. (Please grease it first.)

Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on top of batter.  Then sprinkle half of the chocolate chips.

Repeat layers.

Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

Eat up.  It is good.
*The instructions, although not exact, are the way the book presents them.  I think, it is important to mention greasing the pan and mentioning the oven temperature, at the beginning of the recipe so it has time to heat  up.

The other problem, I had was that they did not separate the topping from the batter and I almost included it, in the batter until I gave it a second thought and realized, it could not be so.  I reread and sure enough, it was separate.

Although, I have been critical of some aspects of this cookbook, I love it and use it, a great deal.  The recipes turn out beautifully and I have two of the books of this "set" and would like the third.

Looking back:

Frugal Thursdays made this unusual quesadilla . Go one over and find the secret ingredient in this one.




Shortbread Surprize from With a Blast - I have a feeling, one just keeps taking more of these yummy looking nuggets.



Every Weeknight Salad Bar (I would make this for company too.) from Make the Best of Everything.  Isn't that  a great blog name?



Chicken in Mustard Sauce from one of my favorite blogs, Ms. enPlace


  It is your turn, dear foodies and thanks for filling the Recipe Box.

Please link up below.

Comments

  1. Hi Chaya
    I got frustrated just reading this... I'd scream if it happened to me
    But what a comfort eating this wonderful cake...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound frustrating. I'll keep that in mind from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks super yummy! Gotta try that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cake is one of my main coping tools. Yours looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thank you for the feature and the kind words, Chaya! And thank you for hosting. My son was eyeing your eggplant spaghetti last night. I can't believe the crazy day you had out and about--what was the deal with everyone double parked? I have no patience for things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes you just have to vent! What a frustrating experience, but the cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand why someone would double park on a street.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for featuring my Shortbread Surprize! Your recipe looks delicious, pinned and hoping to make it soon - have a great day,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for featuring my recipe! L'Shanah Tovah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think some people just don't have any "home-training" .... they lack manners. Unfortunately, they think the world revolves around them. We make a similar cake with bananas .... it is oh, so good! We'll have to give this one a try! Thanks for hosting, Chaya :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I hate it when people double-parked, they are just inconsiderate without any regards to others.
    The chocolate chip cake looks wonderful, I love homey simple cakes like this!
    Thanks for sharing, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, that does sound frustrating! Sometimes the best therapy for a frustrating day is to spend a little time in the kitchen...this cake looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting. Lovely features from the last party. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for featuring my Salad Bar!! I really appreciate it!! I hope you have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good grief! I can imagine how upset you must've been! It's good to vent! So many great recipes here and I definitely have to try your cake! It looks yummy! An English teacher once told me, the more commas in a sentence, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning, Chaya! I've brought some ice cream to share. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder sometimes whether people have totally lost their sense of driving etiquette. It's such a shame when you think about it, Chaya. If people can't get along when they are driving in the privacy of their cars how in the heck are they ever going to get along on the world stage. I too am frustrated!!! Good thing there wasn't a real emergency, no consideration.

    Hah, that said, your Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Layer Cake sounds most appealing. It has just the hint of fall that I crave for now.

    Thank you so much for sharing and for all of your wonderful, tasteful contributions. I'm still trying to master the collages like you:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice layered cake and I would love to have some with a cup of hot coffee. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Traffic can be so frustrating! I'm sorry it was such a stressful journey. I do like the sound of your delicious chocolate chip cinnamon layered cake - I love chocolate and cinnamon together. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i understand the problem of double park. It's also quite common especially surrounding popular eating places and sometimes the workers at the eating place will help to shout the car number plate or maybe an announcement so that the owner will come quickly to remove their cars. YOur choc chip cinnamon cake sounds lovely and i agree with some of books, they are not ' detailed' enough! haha! just shared a steamed prawn dish on the linky. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. such a wonderful cake! would be perfect with my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good morning,Chaya! Just brought some baked beans to share. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Chaya, I've linked a loaf of seeded oat bread. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost