Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Roasted Brussels Sprouts (Broccoli) with Parmesan and Vincotto


This week, Gaye chose Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan and Vincotto from the Donna Hay magazine, Jun/Jul 2015 on page 88.

I have a few stores where I do my food shopping and it all depends on where I am at shopping time which one I go to.  This week, I ended up in the smaller kosher store in the neighborhood and of course, they did not have brussels sprouts.  Granted, this is not my favorite store and I usually walk out unhappy, I still like to support the ownership who are nice people who don't seem to be making a success of their venture.

I had no time to travel to the bigger stores with the better produce so I put on my thinking cap and came up with a substitute which is a bit far fetched, broccoli.  I can't vouch for the brussels sprouts but I will say, the broccoli was delicious with a taste of lemon, garlic, red chili, Parmesan and black pepper.  Pulled together with olive oil, it made a delicious side.

Check out what others cooked at our site, Wednesdays with Donna Hay.

6 comments:

  1. I think that was a very smart choice of substitute! We love this recipe! I'm so glad you were able to cook with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the spices in the recipe and will try it with brussels sprouts. I've been wanting to make them this week and noticed fresh stalks are starting to be displayed in the supermarkets. Looks good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you not have even a ball park amount for each item so that it becomes a recipe? When I make something for the first time, it is so helpful (at least to me) to have some idea of the amount of Olive Oil, or lemon juice, or chili to use. I would appreciate some help. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this would have been great with broccoli - good thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, great idea to use broccoli. They are in the same family. I really liked this - it reminded me that my first WWDH recipe was also Brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH!! I wish I had thought of broccoli. I am NOT a Sprouts fan.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.