Carrot-Apple Kugel


When I prepare for the holidays, I marathon cook.  So far today, I have made two broccoli kugels, 2 cauliflower-leek kugels, a ton of kneidlach (matzah balls) and this carrot apple kugel.  I didn't start till almost 2 o'clock.

We just finished the first two days of the holiday Rosh Ha Shana, head of the year, and while we eat well, that is not the priority.  The meals were good but my focus is on Succos which comes around in two weeks.  There are six major meals a week plus a seventh smaller one (not counting regular meals on the non-holidays.  Each meal has challah, a fish course with salad, soup, meat or poultry with a few side dishes and desserts.  By the last meal, I am full before we start.


Along side of the heavier dishes which I make ahead of time, I like to serve fresh vegetables to lighten the meals.  I also make the potato and apple dishes a day or two before the holiday since I don't find they freeze well.  So far I have two huge soups in the freezer and I want to make two more.  I just cook and cook with little thought to the menus.  I know, if I make some veggies, some protein and some grains, it will work out to be a rather balanced meal.  Salads are usually made fresh except for possibly a potato salad.


I have not thought much about desserts yet but I do have a few recipes, I have been saving to make.


I love fussing in the kitchen so this is not a chore for me.  There is contentment in the chopping and peeling.



Carrot-Apple Kugel

Ingredients:



10 grated carrots (I used my food processor)

2-3 apples, grated in food processor with carrots

1 /3 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
4 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon rind
2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups gluten free or AP flour

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a baking pan with non-stick spray.
 Add to the carrots, apples, eggs. oil, honey and lemon rind.



Add flour to the carrot mixture.

 Pour batter into pan into 9 inch round baking pan and bake for 45 minutes or longer if still wet in the middle.

Eat and enjoy,

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost