Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Recipe Box # 32 - Classic Lentil Soup

 My husband loves soup, in the winter, to put it mildly.  Other than nut cake, he asks only for soup, any kind of soup.  I love to make soup so this is truly a labor of love.

 I rarely cook with lentil and wasn't sure how well it would go over with hubby.  Indeed, it was a great success.

 I added the turkey to the recipe and in my opinion, this turned it, into a "souper soup". 

Classic Lentil Soup  - adapted from Mark Bittman

Makes: 4 servings

1 cup dried lentils, washed and picked over
1 bay leaf
Several sprigs fresh thyme or a few pinches dried
1 carrot, thin sliced
1 celery stalk, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 cups vegetable stock or water, or more as needed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups slivered turkey


1. Put the lentils and stock in a medium saucepan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, put the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and turkey and cook, stirring, until it softens, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir, then cook for 1 minute more and turn off the heat.

3. The soup may be made ahead to this point, cooled, and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently. Add more stock if the soup is too thick, then taste, adjust the seasoning, and serve.

Linked to Keep it Real Thursdays    
Gallery of Favorites

Your turn:


  1. I will be trying this soup, Chaya. We recently had lentil soup at a restaurant and we all loved it.
    Thanks for the party! Hope you have caught up on your rest.

  2. I've been cooking with lentils a lot lately! This looks great.

  3. Thanks for hosting, Chaya! Your soup looks delicious :-)

  4. Hi Chaya :)
    I love soup in the winter and in the summer :)
    I actually have lentil soup in the fridge right now!:)

    Thanks for the party

  5. Hi Chaya,
    I'm with your husband I could live on soup too. Lentil is one of my favorites. Thanks for the party.

  6. Thank you for the party, Chaya. Soup is one of my absolute favorite things - especially in the cold of winter! I have never tried lentil soup though and really should sometime soon!

  7. Hi Chaya, thanks for hosting, your soup looks delicious :)

  8. I wish I could say the same for soup here! I love soup, this sounds great and I want to try it! Thanks, my friend!

  9. Your souper soup sounds fantastic! I like the idea of adding the turkey. Soup is always so comforting. This week I've shared a delicious fish dish. I hope everything is going well. Thank you for hosting.

  10. Good morning Chaya,
    That is a lovely bowl of soup!
    I've brought some chicken to share this week. Thank you for hosting, have a great week!


Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.