Fast Potato Gratin

Saturday, January 29, 2011


Fast Potato Gratin * Tackling Bittman * Veggie/Fruit of January

 

 I could live on potatoes.  Put a potato in a dish and I am eating it.  Add some sour cream and I happy.  Bake it, fry it, boil it, cream it, steam it......do as you please.....I love potatoes.

Gratin has been on my list to do for ages and today is my day.  These potatoes were sliced on my kitchen toy, a mandolin that cuts in several way.  Although this is called julienne, I think of it as cottage fry look.  These slices were thinner than I have ever used.  They were close to paper thin and I was fearful, they might not work when cooked.  They did beautifully.    They crisped on the outside but stayed softer, in the middle.  They were just another successful potato recipe, hopefully to be made again, with onion.

Fast Potato Gratin  Adapted from Mark Bittman

Yield 4 servings
Time 40 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic, or a fine grating of nutmeg, optional
  • spray olive oil (rather than butter)
  • 2 to 3 cups vegetable broth  (rather than cream)

Method
  • 1. Slice potatoes thinly. Layer in a nonstick ovenproof skillet, sprinkling between layers with salt and pepper, and garlic or nutmeg, if you like. 
Perfect-so thin!
  • Spray olive oil, then add enough vegetable broth to come about three-quarters of the way to the top. 
  •  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Place skillet on stove top over high heat, and bring potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high, and cook for about 10 minutes or until the level of liquid and potatoes drops. 
  • Put in oven, and cook until top is browned, about 10 minutes. 

 
  • Turn heat down to 300 degrees, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve or keep warm in oven for up to 30 minutes.
A little paprika added.
 This is especially for Veggie/Fruit A month at Mharo Rajasthan’s Recipes

Comments

  1. You should totally link this to my event "fast food Not Fat food ...just using it olive oil makes all the diff...
    Priyasnowserving.blogspot.com - look on the left column of my blog to read about the event...cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something really new to make potatoes..

    A nice blog and I love ur lay out..Following u dear..

    http://jellybelly-shanavi.blogspot.com ...check out my space when u r free

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh looks delicious. I'm envious you have a mandoline and can cut those beautiful thin slices (I have one on my wish list). I love that this gratin uses olive oil and stock instead of the traditional loads of butter and cream. Not that there's anything wrong with butter and cream in my opinion, but great to have an alternative.

    Thanks so much for sharing this with the Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop - I hope you'll join in again next month.

    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost