I had a topping mix left from another recipe and did not want to keep it, taking up space. My choices were muffins or a coffee cake. Muffins won. I had not eaten lunch and was hungry. Muffins are done quickly and easily and for some reason, sounded acceptable for lunch while a coffee cake did not.
I name the muffins after the topping, a blend of coconut, dried apples, butterscotch chips and chopped almonds. With a small amount of canola oil, I had a nice streusel for the muffin.
2 cups AP flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup Brownulated brown sugar (granulated brown sugar or packed brown sugar - light)
1 cup strong coffee, cooled
1 cup oil minus one tablespoon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Either spray muffin cups or use liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, except the brown sugar.
- Mix until there are no lumps.
- Stir in brown sugar, making sure it is well mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix the coffee, oil, egg and vanilla together, until well combined.
- Pour this liquid mixture over dry ingredients and do a quick stir to mix the two together. Do not over-mix. A few lumps are not a problem.
- Fill each cup about 3/4 full.
- Place streusel on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted, comes out clean.
- Let stand for five minutes and then it is time to enjoy these.
This is linked to the Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom.
Frugal Food Thursdays at Frugal Follies
The Grocery Cart Challenge
Your Recipe, My Kitchen
Midnight Maniac's Meatless Mondays