Muffin Monday - Nutty Muffins



This week, I am posting on Sunday because tomorrow is the Secret Recipe Club reveal. This week's muffin is rather plain in that it is a walnut muffin. The norm is to add fruit to it but knowing hubby loves nuts, I made it more nutty and kept it simple. This is a Mark Bittman recipe and he gives a number of variations to choose from. I added cinnamon to mine.

The recipe is from How to Cook Everything - Mark Bittman and I was fortunate to find it online. This is with my changes. You can find the original and the variations here.

Nutty Muffins Adapted

3 tablespoons Canola oil

2 cups gluten-free flour mixture

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 egg

1 cup Rice Dream, plus more if needed

1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin and line it with paper or foil muffin cups if you like.

2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Beat together the egg, milk, and oil in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, combine the ingredients swiftly, stirring and folding rather than beating and stopping as soon as all the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter should be lumpy, not smooth, and thick but quite moist; add a little more milk or other liquid if necessary.

3. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling them about two-thirds full and handling the batter as little as possible. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before taking them out of the tin. Serve warm.

Spice Muffins. Add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice and ground ginger, and 1 pinch ground cloves and mace or nutmeg to the dry ingredients; use 1 cup gluten-free flour. This is the variation, I made.

Comments

  1. Oh, my gosh...those look so good. I'm sitting here, early morning, enjoying my coffee wishing I could just reach in my screen and grab me a piping hot muffin! Thanks for sharing ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be great for my breakfast, although I'd probably continue eating them all through the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look tasty, and I like that they're gluten- and dairy-free! But, where do the nuts come in? I did not see them listed in ingredients? Thanks for linking this up at my Meatless Monday hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinnamon sounds like a really nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the idea of cinnamon.
    Thank you for sharing these with See Ya In the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muffins are always a treat and these sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look good. I like that you used gluten free flour. Thanks so much for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost