Candied Beets

Candied Beets – Power Food  --- reposted

This is the second time, in a week, we are having beets. Considering, we rarely eat beets, this is a treat. Beets are our power vegetable for the week.Beets are low in calories and high in iron and fiber. I found it interesting that the leaves are more nutritious than the root with double the potassium, folic acid, calcium and iron. Do you use the leaves? I had learned a while back that smaller beets are more tender and when I go, seeking small ones, the store only has the bigger size. I guess that is low level frustration.

My new piece of information is that beets will last at least a month. The leaves do not and should be used within 3 – 4 days. That is a handy bit of information since my goal is to move my vegetables quickly and with beets, I can now relax.




I had planned on making a salad but I found a recipe for candied beets and was just too curious as to how, these would come out. You can use a healthier choice instead of the sugar. I am a brown sugar fan and I just had to take that route.

5 medium sized beets

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon butter

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Place beets and water in microwave and cook for 4 minutes.

Cut beets into cubes and place on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees or until you can easily insert fork or knife.

In a small sauce pan, combine remaining ingredients. Stir until butter melts and brown sugar dissolves. Add beets and cook until the entire dish is hot.

Other recipes with beets:

Orange Beets



Roasted Root Vegetables

Beets with Persian Raisins

Comments

  1. You know Chaya, when I was younger I tended to stick with the 'safe' side dishes...the ones I knew would turn out and everyone would eat. But, as I started to get older I've gotten much braver and have branched out trying anything and everything. This sounds exciting! I've never been one for doing much with beets until this past year. For me, it was an acquired taste. I look forward to trying this recipe and trying out a new taste ☺ Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always want to use the leaves, but rarely do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost