Sweet Potato Kugel

Kugel is described as a pudding but for me, there is no comparison.  There is a difference in texture, pudding being soft and more like a liquid.  There is more wonderful flavored substance to a kugel.

There are all kinds of kugels, the most common being potato and noodle (luchshen) kugel.  The noodle kugel serves either a side dish or when made sweet, as a dessert.  I serve all kugels as side dishes.  I make kugels such as carrot, broccoli, corn, cauliflower, bread kugel, rice, and most likely almost any vegetable, we can think of.

After years of kugels, I think, I shut down and wanted to make relatively plain vegetables so the kugel recipes have stayed on closed pages until last week, when I had some sweet potatoes to cook.  Rather than my recent recipes, kugel popped into my mind and I was off and running.

If you are making a kugel, feel free to change it, anyway, you would like.  Add spices, fruits, vegetables, textures.  Mix and match.  Cooking kugels can be fun.  Eating them is definitely fun.


Sweet Potato Kugel  adapted from The Green Kitchen

Ingredients:

3 large sweet potatoes
1 crispy apple
2 - 3 eggs
1 cup golden raisins
 1/4 cup orange juice chopped into small pieces
 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
 1/4teaspoon nutmeg
 1/4teaspoon cloves
Spray cooking oil to grease pan

Method:


1) Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8 inch square pan with cooking oil.

2) In a small bowl, soak the raisins in orange juice, adding water so the raisins are covered. (You can speed up the plumping by microwaving for 30-45 seconds.)  (I didn't like the orange juice in this recipe.  Personally, I think, I would try apple juice, next time round.)

3) Peel the sweet potatoes. Using a grater blade on a food processor or a box grater, grate them. Put the grated sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl.

4) Beat the eggs. Mix into sweet potatoes.

5) Grate the apples, add to the sweet potato and egg mixture.

6) Stir in the salt and spices.

7) Add the nuts, raisins and soaking liquid. Stir.

8) Pour/scoop mixture into your cake pan, smoothing flat.

9)  Bake 40 minutes or so, until the edges are a little browned and the top gets golden. Let it cool a bit, then cut into pieces.

Comments

  1. I love kugels and this one is very different and delicious sounding.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something new, loved the ingredients! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm learning a lot around the food blogging world today. I've only heard the word kugel, but have only had a vague idea of some type of noodle dish. Didn't know they are made with all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost