Spinach, Mandarin and Almond Salad


I have not gotten access to my blogs but I have found a back door, so to speak, which does get me here.  Of course, each time, I can't find it and search for a while before I have arrived here.

The blog is like a little house with a front door and a back door.  Right now, the front door is locked and I at first, felt helpless as to what to do.  Actually, I still  feel pretty helpless.  I have written to Blogger and they are attempting to help me.  Hopefully, I will be able to come in through the front door again, soon.

I am happy, we built this Blogger cottage with a back door though.  Can you imagine having no way in to your home or blog.  I could write a great story about the family who could not get into their home.

I had been, in the middle of sharing some of Estee Kafra's recipes with you and then I ran into blog trouble and some complications in life in general.  Hoping to get back to myself and to changing this blog a bit.

I have not used mandarin oranges in a salad in a while.  There was a time, this was the big thing, and I threw them into dishes often.  Then there were less recipes with the canned oranges and I was just as happy.  When I first saw this recipe, I was going to sub in some fresh fruit, but now mandarin oranges are unique.  The salad was great and the mandarin  oranges were just right.  I would make this with sliced pears in the future.


Spinach, Mandarin and Almond Salad - Estee Kafra

Ingredients:

1 lb fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and well dried 
½ cup red onion, thinly sliced 
1/4 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced  (Looks like it got hidden in there.)
½ cup carrots, grated 
½ cup dried cranberries 
¾-1 cup canned mandarin oranges, drained and patted dry 
black pepper to taste
¾ cup toasted slivered almonds 

Honey-Mustard Dressing

¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup honey
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper

Method:

Wash spinach and dry thoroughly. Combine spinach with onion, bell pepper, carrots and cranberries in a large bowl.

Combine all of the dressing ingredients and place everything in a mini food processor and blend until smooth. Chill before serving.

At serving time, combine spinach mixture with salad dressing, mandarin oranges, salt and pepper; toss gently to combine. Transfer to a large platter or serving bowl and sprinkle with almonds or pine nuts. Serve immediately.

Eat and enjoy.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you are having problems with your blog, Chaya. I did run into problems a couple of times when I visited. The page would just disappear! I thought it was just me. I do hope blogger can help you get in the front door soon.

    This salad of yours sounds so refreshing. I haven't made Spinach Salad in so long. Marion would love it with the Mandarins! Thank you so much for sharing, Chaya and Good Luck!

    P.S. Did you get to "meet" Nee? I suggested she come over and link up for Meatless Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you resolve your log in issue. I can still access my blogger acct.. Perhaps I can spot a resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chaya, I hope you manage to resolve this issue soon! The salad looks lovely and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently had some canned mandarins, too, and found that I still like them even though they are less common recently. How is your blogger issue progressing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This salad would go down well here - it is the third straight day of 40+ Celsius degree temps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chaya, sorry you're having issues with your blog...I too had some recently, but I was able to fix the problem. Hope you'll get it straightened out with Blogger!

    Your spinach salad is refreshing...a must make! Love your honey-mustard dressing, as well. It's been ages since I've used canned mandarin oranges, and actually they are so perfect and really good. I remember making what used to be called 'Oriental' Chicken salad; which in today's term is Asian, and the canned mandarin oranges were the 'main feature'...lol
    After eating roasted chicken, and potatoes; both cooked with homemade Schmaltz, (newest post)...your healthy, and delicious spinach salad is a welcome! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I haven't made anything with those canned mandarin segments for years either. But I remember how delicious they were, and you've made me suddenly add them to my shopping list. This salad looks great, and I think pears would make a great sub in too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost