Muffin Mondays - Cornbread with a Secret

This is a recipe from Chaya's Comfy Cook which I remember loving, especially because it is filled with a tasty treat.  I hope, next week, to have a newly baked Passover muffin and if not by then, hopefully for the following Monday.  With the changes in the cooking that come about with that word, Passover, nothing will be the same.  I do plan to do some of the cooking, next week before Passover which starts on Friday night.  (In Judaism, the day begins in the evening and ends in the evening.  If there is any free time, I will share with you, here.

The words below this picture are also, from the original post.

I love cornbread and corn muffins. Between my two blogs, I have several different recipes, most which I liked. This is a King Arthur Flour recipe which gives it a head-start in the likability department. There is no doubt, for me, KAF comes through time after time, just like today. I have to find the name of the blog that inspired me to find a recipe for what I wanted. I ended finding it on KAF.

Since my grandson was on his way over from out of town, I wanted to try these, on him. By the number that disappeared, someone, at the table liked these. That could have been me. I think, everyone dug in over and over again. These are a true treat. Take a bite and get a taste of sausage, all dressed up in cornbread. That is the ultimate crunch and taste.

I pretty much followed the recipe as stated, except that I made it gluten free and added some of the extras, which KAJ does suggest, doing. I added corn, sausage (only had hot dogs) home grown chives and chopped red pepper.


Cornbread with a Secret



1 3/4 cups gluten free brown rice flour mix (2 cups brown rice, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour) Take 1 3/4 cup for this recipe from the mix. 

1 cup cornmeal

1/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups Rice Dream
1/2 cup unsalted margarine, melted and cooled
1 large egg
 2 sausages or hot dogs, thinly sliced or chopped
1/4 red pepper, chopped
6 chives, chopped
1/2 cup of corn


Method:



Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

2) Stir in any desired herbs, red pepper, corn kernels, sausage or other flavorings.

3) In another bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, melted butter, and egg.
4) Pour the liquid all at once into the flour mixture, stirring quickly and gently until just combined.
5. Spread the batter into the prepared pan, or scoop into the muffin tin. I used an ice cream scoop and it worked well.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges just begin to pull away from the pan and a cake tester or paring knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 5 minutes before cutting; serve warm.
Eat and enjoy!!!!!



Linked to Muffin Monday   

 Savory Sunday

Gluten Free Meal Plan via Musings of a Housewife

Comments

  1. Now that is quite a secret! Hot dogs. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your Passover muffins are good! I'm always disappointed in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the process of collecting lunch-box recipes for my son once he starts school in 2 years time and would love to add in this recipe into my collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost