Salmon Vegetable Pancake

I had a piece of baked salmon left from the Sabbath and knew I had to use it, quickly.  I was browsing through recipes that interested me and hit upon Bittman’s vegetable pancakes.    

These looked great and I thought of them as a side to the salmon until a light bulb went on and I decided to add the baked salmon into the pancakes.  Bittman leaves you a lot of choice in these recipes and I ended up choosing potatoes, zucchini, carrot, and onion.  I also added some frozen corn and frozen peas.
Vegetable Pancakes, adapted from Mark Bittman ( I think Food Matters)

 Ingredients:
About 1 1/2 pounds grated vegetables, peeled first if necessary (3 cups packed), and squeezed dry
1/2 small onion, grated; or 4 scallions
1 egg
1/4 cup corn meal
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive or vegetable oil or butter for greasing the pan
  1. Grate the vegetable or vegetables with the grating disk of a food processor.
  2. Squeeze out the liquid.  Save for soups or other dishes.
  3. Mix together the vegetables, onion, egg, and 1/4 cup of  the corn meal.
  4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a little more flour if the mixture isn’t holding together.
  5. Put a  oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
  6. Lots of Peeling.
  7. When the oil is hot, drop in spoonfuls of the batter, using a fork to spread the vegetables into an even layer, press down a bit. Work in batches to prevent overcrowding. (Transfer finished pancakes to the oven until all are finished.) Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.  (I used my cookie scoop to get the same size pancakes.)
I would make these again either plain or with salmon
Cut up vegetables.
Process vegetables.
Remove water from veggies.
Cut-up Salmon.

Fry and Drain Well.
Yummy.

Ultimate Recipe Swap
Sister Sundays

Comments

  1. I am a huge fan of all vegetable pancakes. I love when the produce comes in and I can make them - so this instantly appealed. And then the salmon for protein just ups the ante!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look heavenly, can't wait to try. I am so happy you are following my blog....I am following yours too!

    I had already posted the tuna cakes so guess again...they are a seafood cake though. :) Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pancakes! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little cakes look delicious. Great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of adding veggies into your salmon patties! will try that next time i make salmon croquettes or salmon cakes!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/04/salmon-korokke-croquette-balls-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great way to use up that salmon! Thanks for linking them up at Make a Food-"e"-Friend Monday.

    (The Lucky Wife)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am big fan of crab cakes, but these Salmon cakes looks unbelievable delicious. You just might have solved my dinner dilemma.

    Hope you can come by Foodie Wednesday and share it.

    http://www.dailyorganizedchaos.com/mozzarella-bruschetta/

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out beautiful. Looks so good. I feel fat looking at all these food posts. lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost