Colored Sugar Cookies

**** Warning - I think, my posts for a while, will have information on our experience and the experiences of the many people, in my community and in others, that still do not have power.*****

 I decided to bake some cookies for my class.  I had not done so for this group of boys and they were patiently waiting ---- maybe not so patiently.  I thought a cookie with jelly on top would be a big success for a starter.  (I certainly regretted this after we lost our power.  It gets worse, I made two other cookies.  All went into the garbage.)


I am sure, many of you have baked under pressure and sometimes, it can spur us on to be more efficient and productive.  This time, listening to the news and the predictions, was distracting and I kept questioning whether, I had added the sugar or doubled the eggs.  I might have done any of these things but if I did, I wish I knew since each batch tasted just right.

While I baked, I also scurried around getting ready for the storm and it proved to be beneficial.  We pulled out every flashlight, candle and battery.  Hubby ran to the store to see if he could get more but already, the stores were out.  While out, he stopped at a food store which he said, was more crowded than he had ever seen. Everyone, of course, had the same idea.  I asked for corn cake, crackers and some gluten-free pasta.  Otherwise, figuring we would not have power for a day or two, I was not overly concerned.  (Keep in mind, I have a pantry full of food that needs room temperature storage.  Although we do not eat much, in the way, of canned goods, I do have Eden tomatoes, beans, peanut butter, nuts, jelly, and the cans sent to me with sweet potatoes.  That should have been plenty for a short outage.

I had visions of eating guilt free pasta and potatoes (not necessarily together) and corn cakes galore.  Easily, I could eat peanut butter, right from the jar, so I was eyeing that.  What fun, this was going to be.

Keep in mind, the weather was delightful.  I think, it was up to 60 in the day and in the fifties, at night.  No problem, keeping warm.  Yeah, sure.


 10 30 Colored Sugar Cookies  Colored Sugar Cookies
 
Ingredients :


3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
2 egg beaters
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Colored Sugar to dip cookies into

Method:


In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil until blended.  Beat in eggs, extracts and lemon peel.


Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well.
 

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Coat bottom of a glass with cooking spray, then dip in sugar. 

Flatten cookies with prepared glass, redipping in sugar as needed. 

(use different colors of sugar.  I used green and yellow and white.)


Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.

Eat and Enjoy!

Comments

  1. How awful that you still do not have power! I'm sorry Chaya! How are you getting by? I can't imagine. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaya, I hope you have power very, very soon. I'd hate to think you're dealing with no heat in that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chaya, Hope the electricity will be back on soon. Your delightful cookies sure would bring some comfort to the recipients! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful looking cookies.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you Chaya

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you went in to the storm with a fabulous attitude!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost