Maple Noodle Kugel - Blog Direction

Quick, Easy, DeliciousI would like to continue my train of thought from the last post about changes to this blog.  Besides adding a new dimension of life in school, I want to focus on my cooking and baking.  I asked myself  questions and the answers made my think, quite clear.

To work in my schedule, I want to make quick and easy and delicious recipes.  That was the initial intent of this blog but at that time, I was labeling these recipes, as special.  They are not special.  They are what makes me a cook.

I learned a long time ago that the difficulty of a recipe does not make its merit.  There are times two or three ingredients, mixed together, make magic.  Usually, they are not as beautiful or intricate as those that we put hours into.  I don't have those hours, not if I want to keep my life to open to family,  job and other interests.

Life throws us curves and we can only go with them and make the best of them.  At this point in my life, we have two biggies going on and the need for that QED cooking is even more than it used to be.  This is what I plan to share with you.

Recipes that come together with less effort and don't take an inordinate amount of time to cook are what is on my menu.  I will still find these in cookbooks, magazines and online.  I will rely on cooks like Donna Hay who pull this off with ease.  Donna who is the basis for two groups, I participate in, has ingredients that are usually in my pantry and her recipes surprise me, week after week, with the ease they are made.

If you take a good look, I think you will find that some of our "famous" chefs, Ina, Paula, Mark Bittman, Nigella, Giada, Tyler Florence, Rachel and all of our first name friends have recipes that are easy to make and yet seem to come together with deliciousness.   The mark of a good cook is not how long s/he spends in the kitchen.

Let me add, I certainly appreciate the masterpieces made many of you bloggers.  I would love to have a few bites of these beauties.  I just don't want to make them.  So look for some recipes that you will be able to make with a minimum of fuss but that should be a pleasure to eat.

We will start with this Maple Noodle Kugel by Estee Kafra who is the focus of my cooking, these days.






Maple Noodle Kugel

Ingredients:

1 package fine noodles (I used a thin gluten-free spaghetti since I have not come across fine noodles that are GF).
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup crumbs (I used cornflake crumbs that are gluten-free - you can use bread crumbs)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (I used black.)

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook noodles according to package directions for al dente.  Drain.

Place all of the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix well.

Add noodles to this mixture.  Mix them in.

Place noodle mixture into a nine inch round pan (square is fine also).  Sprinkle top lightly with additional cinnamon.  (I am sorry I did that.)

Bake in 350 degree 0ven for 50 minutes.

Estee recommends brushing top with maple syrup  after it is done and is still hot.  It seeps through the entire kugel and you  have more of a maple taste.


Comments

  1. Wondering why you are using thin instead of flat noodles. I would imagine that the thin noodles make the kugel a lot more dense.
    Cannot wait to try it.... I am salivating all over my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost