Secret Ingredient Meatloaf


I kvelled about this meatloaf in my last post.  It is also from Kosher Scoop and specifically from Estee Kafra and her new book, Cooking Inspired.  Maybe it is just me but I don't think so.  I have never tasted a meatloaf like this.  Adding the sausage (pastrami originally) was a stroke of genius and the duck sauce put a whole new spin on the recipe.  No Estee, I don't think a meatloaf is a meatloaf is a meatloaf.  I think this is far superior to the tomato sauce versions.

I have made meatloaf in a variety of ways, with spinach, with hard boiled eggs, with barbecue sauce and with any other food that made sense.  None came near this.  I hope you will get a chance to make this and that you enjoy it as much as we did.

As you can see, I served it with plain broccoli and parsley oven fried potatoes.  This worked perfectly.

Secret Ingredient Meatloaf (adapted from Estee Shafer who calls this her New Meatloaf)

Ingredients: 

4 – 5 large onions sliced 

1 pound ground beef 

1 pound ground turkey

2 shallots

1/2 teaspoon dried dill

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 

1 sweet sausage


1/2 cup cornflake crumbs (gluten-free)

2 eggs 

1 cup sweet and sour duck sauce 


Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a food processor fitted with the ‘s’ blade attachment, pulse the shallots, dill,  and sausage until fine.

Place meat in a bowl and add ground mixture. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Slice onions and place in bottom of baking dish – shape meat into a loaf and place on top of onions. 

Cover well and bake for 1 hour. 

Uncover, glaze with duck sauce and bake uncovered for 35 – 40 minutes more.

Slice and serve with onions. 

Eat and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost