Fast Potato Gratin
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Fast Potato Gratin * Tackling Bittman * Veggie/Fruit of January
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, or a fine grating of nutmeg, optional
- spray olive oil (rather than butter)
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable broth (rather than cream)
- 1. Slice potatoes thinly. Layer in a nonstick ovenproof skillet, sprinkling between layers with salt and pepper, and garlic or nutmeg, if you like.
- Spray olive oil, then add enough vegetable broth to come about three-quarters of the way to the top.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place skillet on stove top over high heat, and bring potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high, and cook for about 10 minutes or until the level of liquid and potatoes drops.
- Put in oven, and cook until top is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 300 degrees, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve or keep warm in oven for up to 30 minutes.
|A little paprika added.|