Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Double Chocolate Expresso Cookies

A few times a year, I join in with the Operation Baking Gals and bake for the troops.  In the summer, when I have more time, I can't wait until, I start baking.  This morning was the time and I think, I hit the jackpot with this first cookie
I look for easy recipes that go quickly. The goal is to make dozens and dozens of cookies that will pack well.  This leaves out things that will not make the long trip, in the heat, so I keep my cookies simple.  No icing, no fillings, just good eating.

My original plans were that I would start with Flour Bakery's cookies since that is the book, I am checking out now.  I found a piece of paper with the recipe below, on it, and changed plans slightly and made these, first.  

My second recipe is sitting in the refrigerator, waiting to be baked, in the meanwhile, and that is from Flour which is located in Chicago.  The owner and author of the baking book is Joanne Change.  More about the book, when I share her recipes. 

Double Chocolate Expresso Cookies (adapted from Taste of Home)
36 ServingsBake: 10 min./batch


3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon salt


In a small heavy saucepan, melt unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup chocolate chips and margarine with coffee granules; stir until smooth.

Remove from the heat; set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, beat sugar and eggs for 3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the chocolate mixture.
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.  (I used a teaspoon cookie scoop.)

Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and tops are cracked. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Click here to find out more!


  1. What a great cause you're baking for! Kudos!

  2. Bizzy these cockies look amazing and yummy! gloria

  3. What a wonderful cookie for a great cause.

    Cook Lisa Cook

  4. These are the kind of cookies I feel like hiding b/c I don't want to share.

    But you are kind to share these with the troops.

  5. Oh, man, these sound amazing!!! And what a great cause you're supporting~

  6. It was really kind and sweet of you to bake these for a good cause. Cheers to you!
    The cookies looks really good. I have heard a lot of great reviews about Joanne Chang's "Flour", especially her Choc Chip Cookies. This book is on my "wishlist"!

  7. You have a great project. I've done the "troops" on a few occasions, but have become involved with Eastern European orphanages over the past 10 years, and they take all the resources I can find. I think if everyone would have great projects like yours our world would be such a better place...you bring so much joy with cookies from home. And they look so good...they will be so appreciated.

  8. Awww, I can have a plateful right now...thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. :)
    Spice n Sugar Tales

  9. definitely a crowd pleaser :) i could go for one right now in fact...

  10. These look so good. I love chocolate.

  11. Now that I am making it through my recipes, I see that you HAVE linked with me this week. I think I invited you in another comment but.....who knows. I can't remember anything for 5 minutes...haha. I seem to be quite disorganized these days...

  12. These sound wonderful - I love the chocolate and coffee combination, and you just can't go wrong with double chocolate! Yum!


Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.